Examinations, Courses and Awards
Archbishops' Award in Church Music
Revised October 2009
INTRODUCTIONThe examinations leading to these awards are open to all who have a serious interest or involvement in the music of the Christian Church, whether as choir directors, organists or keyboard players, choir singers, instrumental leaders, instrumentalists, worship leaders (cantors/animateurs), or in any similar capacity.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTSThe Archbishops' Award in Church Music consists of the following:
- Part A Portfolio/Project File
- Part B Practical Examination
- Part C Viva Voce examination
- All candidates for these awards must be current members of The Guild of Church Musicians. For membership applications click here
- Application forms are available from the Examinations Secretary, and must be returned with the appropriate fee by 31st January prior to the examination. To download an application form click here
- Parts A, B and C are common to both qualifications, and may be entered EITHER as the Archbishops' Award OR as part of the ACertCM. All Parts for either qualification must be completed within a maximum of four years. Candidates who have gained the Archbishops' Award may subsequently enter for Parts D1, D2 and E in order to complete the ACertCM requirements, provided that all the Parts A to E are completed within a maximum of four years.
- Candidates must achieve the pass mark (60%) in each Part. Candidates who fail in one or more Parts are entitled to re-take or re-submit those requirements and satisfy the examiners within four years of their first submission. Part B, the Practical Examination, if failed, may not be retaken within three months of the previous examination.
- The Academic Board of The Guild of Church Musicians reserves the right to refuse or cancel the entry of any candidate for the Award or the Certificate without assigning a reason.
- Candidates are strongly advised to consult the Guidelines which are published separately.
fees for the examination are as follows:
|Parts A-C (Archbishops’ Award)
|All parts (ACertCM)
|Parts D & E
|Part D only
|Part E only
|ACertPW (All parts)
|ACertPW (Parts A-C)
|ACertPW (Part D only)
Examination entry fees cannot be refunded unless the candidate is unable to attend the examination because of illness. A medical certificate must be forwarded with any application for a refund. The Guild reserves the right not to refund the fees in full if any costs have already been incurred.
In the case of candidates for the Award or the Certificate, an administration fee of £10 will be levied for deferral of the whole or any part of the examination to a later year.